Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Hillebrand Winery 2004 Late Harvest Vidal - $18.95

Many years ago I tried my very first late harvest vidal, it happened to be a ’98 Hillebrand Late Harvest Vidal, and at one point it was my favourite wine - not an every day sipper to be sure, but my favourite special occasion wine. To this day I still remember it’s luscious flavours and tropical nose - it became the benchmark for all the Late Harvests to follow. Now, the 2004 version tops what my memory recollects. Apples, pears, mangos, golden plums, honey, apricot and cantaloupe are all flavours that can be picked up by the nose – while the mouth simplifies matters a bit with honeyed-pear and nectarine flavours. And, of course, there is the balancing of elements the proper amount of sweetness with just the right level of acidity, making this wine pleasant and extra special to drink. In three words: luscious, thick and delicious. Don’t miss out on something this wonderful – perfect as a dessert on its own. Available at the winery.

No comments: